If you’re feeling depressed or anxious, it can become increasingly difficult to manage all the thoughts going on in your head. Too many of the same thoughts or conflicting thoughts can overwhelm us and cause more depression and further anxieties.
One of the best ways to clear the fog in your mind is to talk it out. It feels so good to be able to discuss what’s troubling you. It takes the burden off your shoulders and can have a wonderful freeing effect afterwards. Sometimes it’s all you need to do. Find either a professional, a trusted friend or use Lifeline to discuss what”s on your mind.
Talking it out does 5 very effective things:
- Helps to get a different or new perspective on your current situation
- Gives you better clarity to view the situation
- It helps to clear some of the thoughts in your mind which might be overwhelming you
- Begin to see patterns in your own thinking
- Frees up space in your mind to develop an action plan
I love the last one, because it gives us a focus for what we can do next time we’re in that same situation. And from that we can slowly learn to develop better, healthier ways to deal with our emotions.
Remember to be kind to yourself and understand it’s all a journey and that it takes time and that’s ok.
Give yourself permission to learn and develop at your own pace.